>> Users guide |>> Screenshot 1 |>> Screenshot 2 |
RecPointX V 1.00
What is RecPointX?
RecPointX is a backup software on file and folder tier, based on stable UNIX tools, which are delivered by standard with every Mac OS X.
What distinguishes RecPointX from other backup programs?
RecPoint X does not use any own backup scheduler. In order to start RecPoinX automatically in regular distances, you simply use iCal in order to plan your backups individually.
The configuration and operation of RecPointX is simple and finished with a few steps.
The program can be deactivated without problems for a longer period since with every backup an adjustment of the last backup to the current data is always performed. Changed files are recognized reliably in this case.
RecPointX uses the command line utility rsync, that is deployed with every Mac OS X.
So under Mac OS X 10.4 you have also the possibility to create simple and time-controlled backups of your data without using TimeMachine.
Also under Mac OS X 10.5 RecPointX can be an alternative, because you can work with user-defined, non operating system dependent backup intervals.
- Only creation of full backups and incremental backups based on a full backup is possible.
- In the case of incremental backups only the files which have changed since the last backup or files that are new will be copied. In this way the storage space consumption is held in a as small way as possible.
- As backup medium can you can use another computer connected over the local network via AFP or SMB or you can use a volume mounted on the computer wich should be saved (for example external hard disk).
- Scheduling periodic backups by iCal.
- New in version 1.00: Maintenance of various backup sets.
- Completely automatic operation after first backup.
- Backup files are stored in a disc image.
- Restoration above finder - RecPointX is not needed for that.
RecPointX is written in Applescript and RecPointX Configurator is written in ObjectiveC and Cocoa.
RecPointX (also RecPointX Configurator) is an Universal Binary and can be executed both on Intel- than also on PPC computers under Mac OS X 10.4 or Mac OS X 10.5
As operating system Mac OS X 10.4 or higher is necessary.
Details for the system requirements, to the installation and operation of RecPointX can be looked up in the product documentation that also is available in the download area as a HTML file.
RecPointX includes and uses rsync 3.0.4 and is published under the GNU General Public License. Sourcecode is available in the download section.
RecPointX is Donationware. The version downloadable on this web site can be used without every restriction as long as desired without any costs. In case you should find the software useful, however, and want to achieve a small donation, then simply contact me (see: Questions and problems).
- RecPointX is written in Applescript, the RecPointX Configurator is written in ObjectiveC and Cocoa. Both programs were created with the aid of the XCode Developer tools from Apple. Further information under http://www.apple.com
Questions or problems
Please don't hesitate to submit questions about RecPointX or to report any error or problem with the application. Simply send a mail to or use the contact form. I will reply to you as soon as possible and try to help you. Please understand that RecPointX is developed in my spare time so i can not guarantee for an immediate reaction.